The adoption process can be filled with much waiting. Here are some things to consider:
- Recruit a committed support team to accompany you on this journey
- Consider starting / joining a pre-adoption support group / Bible study.
- Read good books on adoption
- Talk with your parents (future grandparents), friends, Care group, etc.
- Get your home in order
- Get your financial budget in order
- Get your time budget in order-consider setting aside the whole first year to focus on your new child. Pair down your work schedule, extracurricular activities, moving plans, etc.
- Begin to consider the age of child and the clothes they will need.
- Think about your school situation
- Talk with your biological children about adoption-this should be a family decision. (No Christmas surprises!)
- Make friends and/or visit with other adoptive families with children
- Meditate on God’s heart for adoption
- Talk to your church about starting an orphan/adoption ministry
- Pray for your child
- Pray for the orphans that are waiting for a forever family
- Talk to your church about starting an Adoption Assistance Fund
*Some of these were taken from a similar list on Project 1:27‘s website. They are great ministry that I will highlight in the days to come.