Though God has called everyone to “care for orphans” that does not necessarily mean that everyone is called to adopt. In fact it would be harmful for some couples to adopt when they are not called or prepared.
That said, there are many ways that people can support adoption without adopting. Here are just a few:
- Pray for couples adopting and for the children needing homes
- Host a baby shower for adoptive family
- Provide meals for adoptive couples when they first bring their child home (although it is not a pregnancy it is still a major adjustment!)
- Give financially to help with adoption costs
- Give time and services to help fundraise
- Treat the adopted child(ren) as the adoptive couple’s very own.
- Read up on adoption so that you can be a support
- Be aware of positive adoption lingo