I had the blessing of speaking at the Future and Hope Adoption Conference this past weekend in Austin, TX. It is exciting to see what God is doing in this city and His church when it comes to adoption and orphan care. I really believe that things are about to explode in good ways!
Just a few highlights –
- Bruce and Anita from Hill Country Bible Church and Matt & Julie from Grace Covenant Church did an excellent job putting together a great event with over 80 folks attending (Austin Stone and numerous other churches were also represented there).
- Met a lot of great couples in various parts of the adoption journey! It is always exciting to hear how God leads when it comes to adoption.
- Kristin Wong did an excellent job of magnifying the heart of God for adoption and orphans. If you have not checked out her website please do so now!
- Julie Kouri presented an overview of the adoption process and some common myths.
- I attempted to “Demystify Adoption Finances”
- The conference ended with a panel of adoptive families and one of the adoptive families children’s birthmom. It was very powerful to hear her share her perspective and joy in knowing that her son is in the family God had for him.
- Matt ended praying for God’s continued guidance for each couple and family present, and for all the Valentines dinner conversations that would happen that evening. I still remember the date night that Shawnda and I had when we found out about our first adoption like it was yesterday! All those hopes, dreams, fears, and joys we shared.
Only the Lord knows the full impact that this conference made on each couple present and what that means for the orphans of the world. I believe it is great! At the very least, I left encouraged by God’s sovereign goodness and freshly reminded of His passion for the fatherless and His promise to lead and direct our every steps when it comes to adoption.
If you live in or near Austin be sure to check out these churches (both have adoption ministries and support groups) and stay tuned for info on next years conference.